Sunday, December 16, 2007

Alphabet Soup - Letter "L"

Continuing on with my list of blessings from A to Z I come to the letter L...

LAUGHTER - to giggle in bursts of silly amusement, to full out belly laugh, to laugh through tears - recognizing the joy that sometimes comes all tangled up with difficulty, to laugh with wild abandon in moments of passion...in all its many forms I love a good laugh. Beyond that, I love the sound of laughter from those I care about. I have a priceless memory of my youngest grandchild laughing with gusto as we played peek-a-boo about this time last year...he lives clear across the country now, but that memory still burns bright. I remember driving across Blewett pass with my beloved on the way home from a trip to Sequim. We were listening to a book on tape that had a hilariously funny passage. My love and I got laughing so hard we almost veered off the road! I remember sharing a laugh with one of my best friends, a woman from my church, as we talked about the antics of our respective families. I love laughter! It is healing magic indeed.

LENT - My own religion does not practice Lent or have any traditions associated with it. However, through my association with some pals of the Eastern Orthodox faith I have been introduced to the concept of Lent. They fast for 40 days (eating minimal food and totally avoiding all meat, dairy and a few other thing) and observe various prayers and rituals that carry them through a spiritual journey. I have learned to have a deep respect for this and have practiced a modified version of it for myself that have challenged and enriched my own spiritual understanding.

LOVE is the power pack of my life. It's what gives me the juice to face each new day. It is what brings me hope and courage. Love rocks! I am blessed to be in a marriage where I feel deeply loved every single day. I also have a handful of dear friends who I know without question love me very much. Beyond how good it feels to know I am loved, my life is made richer because of how it feels for me to love them - my family, my pals, and to have a general love of life.

There's plenty of others I could mention - lentils and lima beans, liver & onions and life jackets, larynx that lets me talk, loofah that scrubs me clean. The whole point of doing this blessing list is to push myself beyond the obvious and help me acknowledge my gratitude for lots of things in my life I generally overlook.

I can sum it all up with LIFE...I appreciate the quote by Agatha Christie who said: “I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. ”

No comments: